Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Bullying

It's estimated that one in six children is regularly being bullied at school; as a teacher I saw it happening (and tried my darndest to stop it) as a kid in school I saw it happening-and had it happen to me, but as a parent, it was one of those things that I really didn't pay any attention to, other than to stress to Gabe and Bits that friends use nice words with each other and we don't ever hit our friends OR allow others to hit us.

I didn't pay attention because it didn't personally affect us; we have enough to worry about without adding bullying into the mix...and that worked for us until this afternoon. Without going into a ton of detail, Gabe was physically assaulted by a kid from his school on the walk from the bus to the apartment. Because of his shunt and the fact that he was hit ON the head with a loaded backpack, he had to see the dr to rule out a shunt problem or a concussion. Our official diagnosis was "multiple scalp contusions" which is medically talk for bruises on the scalp. We're supposed to let him rest and take some tylenol and just keep an eye on him. Tonight he was treated to a late night snack of cheese pizza and a movie with his sister. He's happily laying on the couch in jams, seemingly unfazed by the events of the afternoon...

But I'm bothered...and Geo is bothered...and our little "village" is bothered and now what? What happens next? I'm the mother of a kid who is being bullied and haven't got a damn clue what to do. The teacher in me is saying "go to the school and talk to them about it" the momma bear in me is saying "rip the kids head off" (irony at its' finest) and the rational part of me isn't chiming in because I cannot rationalize ANY situation when violence toward children is EVER acceptable.

For now, I'm just going to snuggle my babies close tonight and hope that tomorrow is better.

1 comment:

Carla said...

Start by calling CPS. The school won't do anything because it wasn't on their property. The most any school has ever done for me was to call the parents and let them know, even though there was nothing they could do to enforce anything. There's something wrong with a child that young being that violent and he needs help. The teacher in you needs to call to help him because his mother obviously isn't going to.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...