Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Little Peace and Quiet



I never realized how noisy the house was all day long until I started sending everyone to bed (including Geo) and staying up by myself for a bit of "quiet" time of my own. Other than the tapping of the keyboard, the rain on the roof, and the quiet music coming from the kitchen it is silent in here. Thank God. My goodness, it is SO busy and noisy all day long with the kiddos and all that they are doing. We try and limit the tv, but even still, there is almost a buzzing sound that fills the house when they are awake and active. It's so nice to have only noise that *I* want to hear happening right now. Ha ha :)

Living in the middle of nowhere has been at times, a blessing and a curse. There really is NOTHING to do out here and since we share a car, more often than not the kiddos and I are left to our own devices. We go across the street quite often to play at the playground, we play in the yard, but really there is nothing to do here. In St. Charles we were within walking distance to many different parks and the Fox River which had all sorts of things to see and do. Wednesdays we go to story hour at the library which is good for a half an hour's entertainment and a bit of socialization for momma as well, but it's hard being the new kid in town; all the other mommas know each other, their children all know one another, so Gabe, Bits, and I just sit in the fringes, occasionally talking to people.

The differences in Geo and my parenting is obvious when we head to the library play group-hell, even with friends and family it's obvious we don't "main stream" parent. I wear my dirty footed hippie label with pride but it can be a bit isolating at times. Being the parent who won't let their child play with toy guns or suck down Kool aid with chips and cookies constantly makes us stick out like sore thumbs at times, never mind when I would wear SarahAnne OR *God forbid* nurse her *gasp*

Oh well...summer is right around the corner, and surely there will be more for us to do, right? There *has* to be ;)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...