Sunday, December 18, 2011

Ah yes...

It's that time of year again; crunch time. Christmas is one week away and let the frazzled craziness begin...or not. You may recall that in years past we've started keeping Christmas really low key and as a result have enjoyed it much more than we had in the past. This year has been no exception. Geo's been working a lot but the kiddos and I have been watching Christmas movies, doing leisurely shopping, and talking about winter break plans. So far so good, none of us are too stressed out about anything yet-in fact, all of the Christmas gifts save a few are completely wrapped. I have to pick up a few last minute gifts but we're done. Done done done! I'm so looking forward to a calm peaceful Christmas in our new home this year. For the first time since moving down here, we're not going ANYWHERE on Christmas day; everyone is coming to us. It'll be nice to not have to get out of my pjs and put on make up until everyone comes over for dinner in the afternoon. Gabe and Bits will get to play with and enjoy their gifts without having to rush around getting ready to leave.

In other news, today my grandmother would have been 80. It's really hard to think of her at that age. It's hard to think of her as the great grandmother to 8 great grandkids. Christmas was her holiday; she loved Christmas. She had a rough upbringing; her mother died giving birth and by the age of three she was in foster care. She was a proud member of the United States Marine Corp and was a widow a mere 26 years into her marriage; she raised three boys and enjoyed being with her grandkids. She was feisty as all get out, a little firecracker if you will, and she is so sorely missed.  More than just missing her, it makes me incredibly sad that my kids never got to meet her. SarahAnne (whose middle name is my grandma's maiden name-Velia) is so much like my grandma, it's kind of spooky. The first night she was born, I looked into her eyes and my grandmother was staring back at me; my mother has often remarked that she thinks Bits is Ethel reincarnated, which both amuses and creeps her out haha. I'm incredibly thankful that at the very least little bits of her are carried on in her great grandchildren.

And on that note, it's off to get some puttering around the house done...hope you're all enjoying your Christmas season and not *too* stressed out!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...