Thursday, January 5, 2012

It was Ah-May-Zing!

Gabe started at a new school this week. He bounded off the bus Tuesday (his first day back) with a huge grin on his face. When I asked how his day was he said "it was AH MAY ZING!" He was darn near giddy with how great his day had been. I was very relieved, I was concerned he'd have a rough day, etc etc.

Wednesday when he came home, I asked "how was your day Gabe?" he said rather dully "yeah, it was fine" I was concerned; he had a great day Tuesday, he was excited to go to school Wednesday morning but the afternoon was a whole different story. We started talking about his day and I asked "so what happened today? what were your specials?" He said he had gym and told me what he did, then said he had library. I asked which books he got and he said "oh some about basketball and race cars" and then he trailed off...I asked "so what's the problem McGooch?"

He sighed very deeply and proceeded to explain why his day was just "fine" (you're gonna love this) If you can, hear this next rambly paragraph in Gabe's voice:

"I went to the library with my class and we were told we could get any book we wanted so I went to look for Calvin and Hobbes but I couldn't find them so I walked up to the librarian and asked her where I can find them because at the big library they are in the 700's but I couldn't find the 700's so I didn't know where they were *deep breath by Gabe at this point* AND then she said, she said I'm sorry but you can't have Calvin and Hobbes until you are in third grade and I told her that wasn't fair because I read them at home and I was just looking for one book that I still haven't read and maybe she would have it and she said no. I just couldn't have them because I am only a second grader and that stinks. She stinks."


A few things about this paragraph:
How great is it that Gabe knows Calvin and Hobbes are classified in the 700's of the library? (741.50 if you want to be specific, but you probably didn't need to know that)

How wonderful is it that he asked the librarian for help rather than saying screw it and ripping shelves apart?

And...how crappy is it that they wouldn't let him check it out because he is in 2nd grade? Gabe isn't one to be too totally obnoxious when it comes to exaggerating things, and I could tell he was very clearly upset about this...I think I'll be talking to the teacher and librarian to see what really transpired at the library, but in the meantime,  I don't think it's appropriate for librarians to decide which books a child should or should not read; in my opinion even if they can't read all the words in a book doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed the opportunity to GET that book anyway...strong readers continually challenge themselves when it comes to reading new material; how else are kids going to learn if they aren't allowed to challenge themselves?!

On the plus side, unlike his first art teacher, he and this art teacher get along swimmingly, he didn't even have to offer to take her on a date! He also loves gym class and thinks his classroom teacher is AWESOME, which I love. Now to get him and the librarian on the "same page" ha :P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fact that Gabe knows exactly where to find Calvin and Hobbes in the library is beyond awesome. :D

You know how my preteen son is train mad? For a few years Husband would take Preteen Son to the library and PS would choose some train books (historic nostalgia books with plenty of photographs) and check them out on his own library card. One time, though, a librarian who didn't normally work in our branch told PS that he couldn't take those books out on his card because she refused to believe that he chose those books for himself. Of course PS couldn't articulate to this cow that the books were indeed for himself, and Husband argued with her, but to no avail. Husband took the books out on his card instead but it was a long time before PS wanted to go back to the library.

BIGCHIEFHOSSAHEAD said...

I THOUGHT SCHOOLS WERE SUPPOSED TO PROMOTE LEARNING...NOT KEEP SOMEONE FROM DOING IT. THIS LIBRARIAN OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T KNOW THE SMARTS OUR GABER PROCESSES OR HIS DOGGED TENACITY. KUDOS TO GABE FOR GOING FOR IT...THE KID IS AWESOME, WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY!! (AND BY THE WAY THE BLACKHAWK BOOKS ARE IN THE 796.62 SECTION OF OUR LIBRARY.) :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...