Friday, May 7, 2010

Friday Five-Special Edition

Today's Friday Five is all about being a momma...and is actually a ten question entry!

1. What is one thing you wish someone had told you about being a mom?
I wish I would have known, when I had Gabriel, that I was actually in control-not the doctors. I wish I would have known that *I* was the one with the upper hand and I was the one who was supposed to be making the decisions, not them.

2. What is the most embarrassing thing you’ve experienced as a mother?
Hmmm...do I even want to admit this? For you, friends, I will. When Gabe went for his first pediatrician's appt, they told me to take off his diaper so they could get an accurate weight. They did NOT tell me to put it back on; I walked back to the office, set him on my lap and...he had just eaten and he was breastfed-see where I'm going here? The office staff was trying very hard not to laugh as I cleaned up poop from all over my clothes. Six years later, it is still brought up occasionally in that office-the jerks (ok, not really, they're awesome :P)


3. What's been your lowest point?
I battled postpartum depression after having Gabe and that's all I'll say :/

4. What's been the most rewarding?
There's been a lot of rewarding things in the last six years so I'll name a few. Watching Gabriel start to walk at 21 months, nursing Bits for 21 months (hmm...do I see a trend??) listening to Gabriel read, seeing how gentle Bits is, and hearing how polite and kind my children are.


5. Describe a mommy moment that transformed you so much so, you will never forget it nor are you the same since?
There's been a lot; but one that sticks out in my mind is after watching Gabe being mistreated by a well known, well respected doctor, I realized that I was in charge, that *I* was the one responsible for Gabe and how he was treated and I haven't let anyone treat him poorly since-he gets the best or he gets nothing at all (Bits too, but medically speaking, Gabe will see the best doctors and therapists we can find, regardless of distance or cost because HE deserves the best)


6. Are you more relaxed or paranoid since becoming a mother?
Yes :P

7. Did you plan on becoming a mother or were you taken by surprise?
Both; we wanted children from the day we were married (actually, even before then we knew we wanted kids) We were pleasantly surprised when we found out we were expecting both of them

8. Were [or are] you close with your mom?
Yes I am, my mom is amazing. She has the ability to put things into perspective for me when no one else can. She's been through everything with me and always been there cheering me on and cheering me up when I need it. She's also been known to lay down the smack when I need it as well :P


9. What family tradition do you want to pass down?
Hmmm...let's see. This year we started two new ones that I really want to keep going. The first one is Christmas movies every night for about two weeks before Christmas. Watching a different Christmas movie every single night leading up to Christmas got us relaxed at the end of the day along with excited as well.

We also had a grandma and grandpa Wit sleep over on Christmas Eve and it was AWESOME having them there on Christmas morning. Watching Geo jump on the bed to wake his dad and step mom up yelling "Santa was here" was priceless.


10. If you could start over, what would you do differently?
Nothing; it's easy to say, in retrospect what things were mistakes and what things I *should* have done, but I wouldn't be the mom I am today if I hadn't made those mistakes. It's a learning process and I'm still learning-I expect I'll be learning for a long time to come too!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...