Friday, November 26, 2010

Thoughts on Thanksgiving

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving; lots of yummy food, Geo's family around us, and then desert with the other side of Geo's family. It was warm, there were jokes told, surprises shared, and was just a good day overall. The kids enjoyed themselves (even if they did only eat bread...weirdos)

Geo and I were winding down last night after the kiddos were in bed and he told me an amusing little story; apparently Bits and Geo walked into the kitchen after the turkey had been carved and the bones were resting on the cutting board. Bits looked at Geo a bit horrified and pointed to the "hole" in the end of the turkey and asked "Was that where the turkey's head was Dad?" He said he tried very hard to not laugh and said "yep, that's where it was" She looked at the hole again and was again horrified. Now I understand why she kept asking me "What do they do with the turkey's head?" "What happened to the turkey's neck?" Poor kiddo, traumatized at 3 by a turkey...

Geo's uncle K (as Gabe calls him lol) is a closet viking-and none of us knew until yesterday when he put a huge turkey drumstick on his plate for the first round. I love seeing people eat with gusto and wow, that was some gusto K....I am contemplating crocheting a viking hat for his Christmas gift this year...or maybe a crocheted turkey drumstick??

Today, of course, is Black Friday...and we slept in, all of us. It was glorious. No crazy lines, no pushing, no shoving (well, except for Boni cat, who felt that Geo's feet had no place on our bed...) I don't understand the appeal of Black Friday. it's unpleasant, the people involved are usually rude as all get out, the clerks are frazzled and while the deals are good, they aren't THAT great. (at least not in my opinion)  Black Friday seems to complete contradict what Christmas is all about. Yes, yes, Christmas is the season of giving, but at what cost? Is it really worth shoving, shouting, and swearing? Getting up at 2 a.m. to wait in lines for hours so you can get into the store and score deals? I don't know, it just seems to me that it's a bit over the top for a holiday that's supposed to be calm and peaceful. I know I'm in the minority, but that's okay, I don't mind :)

Now it's back to the old grind-we're moving in a few days and still have plenty of packing to do. God love Geo, he's been doing SO much packing. I hate packing (I don't mind UNpacking, but cannot stand the packing process) Most of the big stuff is taken care of, most of the things we don't use on a regular basis, now it's just the little stuff that has to be taken care of. UGH

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...