Thursday, April 15, 2010

We Can Share Then

Today Bits and I were out running some errands when she asked me, "Mom, do you have a grandma and grandpa?" (We are eagerly anticipating next weekend with Geo's parents and grandparents coming to visit, it's on her mind) I told her, no I didn't have any grandparents anymore.
The rest of the conversation went like this and left me in tears:

Bitsy:"You could get some new ones if you want"

Momma:"Eh, that's not the way it works Bits, you only get one set of grandparents"

Bitsy:"Where are your grandparents at momma?"(always momma, never mom or mommy)

Momma:"Oh they're in Heaven now"

Bitsy is quiet for a minute and said "I have grandparents momma, right?"

Momma:"oh yes, lots of them Bitsy girl"

Bitsy then replies, "we can share then"

As if this sweet little girl couldn't get any sweeter, she wants to share her grandparents with me; she does have LOTS of grandparents, that's very true. Geo's incredibly lucky and has TWO of his three sets of grandparents still and all of our parents are still alive, which gives Bits and Gabe two set of GREAT grandparents and three sets of grandparents. How lucky for them to have so much family surrounding them!!

I lost my last grandparent in 1998 and only knew my mother's parents a little while; grandma passed away when I was five, grandpa when I was 15. My fathers' father passed away before I was born and his mother when I was 18. It's been a long time since I've had my "own" grandparents but I've been incredibly blessed by Geo's grandparents who treat me like their own. If there's anything better than grandparents in this world, I'd have to say it's GREAT grandparents (and aren't they ALL great?!)

Everyone needs to have access both to grandparents and grandchildren in order to be a full human being.(Margaret Mead)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...